Approximately 100 years ago, Mrs. William Doty of 30 Bank Street in New Rochelle attended a bible class conducted by a Seventh Day Adventist conference worker. She accepted the message of truth and was so impressed that she was determined to share it with everyone who visited her home. She soon invited her fisherman friend Mr. William Beale to attend the bible class. Mr. Beale invited his wife and sister. As a result of their study of God’s word, they were both baptized. For 10 years they held bible studies and distributed literature, but there was no reward for their hard work.
In 1920 two Seventh Day Adventists, Mrs. Burton and Mrs. Howard moved into New Rochelle. They began working together. They prayed that God would manifest his presence with them. As a result of their hard work and prayers, Mr. Joseph Peel, age 72 was converted. They began their first Sabbath School at his home.
In 1921, Brother James North, a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church in New York City came to assist them in their work. He brought with him Brother Percy Brownie. Together they launched a tent effort, and as a result 5 individuals accepted the message. The work began thriving and the Greater New York Conference of Seventh Day Adventist invited Elder J.K. Humphrey of New York City to organize them as a church. Some members of the White Plains Church who had moved to live in New Rochelle were transferred to the newly organized church. They now had a total of 18 members.